Total Pageviews

Friday, January 7, 2011

A Tweener is Born

Eight years ago was bitter sweet for me. I was 9 months pregnant and ready to pop... literally. Chip and I were excited about our first baby together, a little girl we were going to name after both my mom and his mom. The nursery was all put together, car seats ready and baby books read.... then came the horrific news that Chip was being deployed to Iraq. Eight days after him leaving, our baby was born, again this was very bitter sweet.

Today, our daughter celebrated her 8th birthday, and officially became a "Tweener." This morning started with a round of "Happy Birthday" being sung by us to her as her wake up song, followed by a minimum day at school, and a birthday party with several of her girl friends. The girls painted their nails, danced to Just Dance Kids, played pin the crown on the princess, danced, decorated sleep masks, ate pizza and cupcakes and danced some more. In the midst of all this fun, we also discussed that while the theme of today's party may be about the outer beauty of a person, there were far more things that made a person beautiful inside. The girls all came up with a quite exhausting list. I am pleased to say, my daughter has an incredibly beautiful friendship group. We concluded the evening by spending quality time eating Coldstone Creamery... (ok, so I am on Weight Watchers right now and had to settle with what I thought was the best of the evils... watermelon sorbet w/o a mix-in, but it way yummy anyway).

Our daughter hit another milestone tonight... her big present from mommy and daddy was to get her ears pierced. She was beside herself in excitement and asked several times just WHEN she could go to Claire's. She was so brave and proud, all the while mommy was choking back the tears. Just when did she grow up? and How? When I told her that mommy was tearing up, she grabbed my hand and just said simply... "you will be just fine." But will I? Time flies and I am really wanting to be a sponge and soak up every moment of it... Every beautiful moment!

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.
1 Peter 3:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment