Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

To Love Oneself

I think it was some time back in middle school when I went from thinking very highly of myself, to putting myself down. I believe a single comment from a child about humbleness was taken to heart... that somehow I should not be proud of my accomplishments, that maybe I needed to pass them off or make excuses for them... after all why should I be able to achieve greatness all by my self?

While reading 40 Days Living the Jesus Creed, I am learning the Shema which is, "Hear, O Israel, the LORD is our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these." Initially, this passage tells me that I am to love God with everything I have and do... ok fine that is easy.... and to love my neighbor... again this is tougher but with practice this is doable too.

The tough part sometimes is the "as yourself" part of the Shema. We are created in the image of God, and we are to love Him, then so we must love ourselves... We are called to love God, ourselves, others and love the world that God has created for us. Many of us simply skim over the love ourselves part in confusion with humility or humbleness. It is important for us to know the difference between recognizing that God has helped us accomplish so much, true humility/humbleness... that yes, God has given each of us talents for us to use, and yes there are certain things that we can be good at... and thinking/boasting about that we can do everything alone, self-promotion and give up the put downs and lies we have re-playing through our heads. As we learn this, we will truly learn how to live out and fully experience the Shema and become more Christ-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment