Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ode to the Flat Tire...

As a mom, I have to admit, I am busy... but busy is synonymous with motherhood right? Moms put the needs of others first, taking people places, scheduling activities, spending money on the others in the family... now before you think of me as a martyr, please know that I do do things for myself, just not extravagant things.

About 4 years ago, I started on a weight loss journey with Weight Watchers and was fairly successful at it, but when I started getting complacent and plateaued, all I saw was $40/month going down the drain... since then, I have put back on that weight and then some. I could not hardly think of spending $40 on ME... I stopped getting my hair colored/highlighted at the salon, and find high fashion at Wal-Mart... we could use that money in so many different areas, especially with me being a stay-at-home mom. Beyond the Weight Watchers, I find my spiritual life being sacrificed for the activities of others. My life was/is completely out of balance. Like a wheel with a flat side, some adjustments need to be made for me to run effectively.

I was reminded in a sermon today by Pastor Ed Noble, that there will never be a good time to take that spiritual step... there will always be some sort of inconvenience... or excuse. We need to retire the "First Let Me...." The example that was used came from Luke 9: 57-59:

The Cost of Following Jesus
57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” 58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” 59 He said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.

This year, I have made the commitment to balance my life. I am making my health and spiritual life a priority. I am vowing to make sure I schedule some time to work on my Bible study throughout the week and not cram it into the day before... In addition, I am re committing my life to Weight Watchers, eating healthy and making it a priority to go to the gym on a regular basis. I plan to reward myself as I hit certain, predetermined milestones by new hairstyles, clothes or other pampering rewards... It has been a whole 3 weeks now and I am still motivated to make these changes... My tire is becoming more round as time goes by...

1 comment:

  1. I've been catching up and reading your posts. Well written! And thought provoking. Glad you're blogging. ;-)

    ReplyDelete