Total Pageviews

Monday, May 2, 2011

Please wait.... processing.... processing... processing...

So today has proven to be a very contemplative day for me... very emotional at times... so I am going to just spill it...

Contemplation #1
Last week, Kassie (6) had a wicked fever, which had gotten up to 104.8. Kassie has always been very difficult to give medicine to, so Chip and I brainstormed ways to get either Motrin or Tylenol in her to gain control over this fever. Needless to say, we tried the tried and true liquid after a very faulty bout with the chewable, and I wore about half of it... this struggle is nothing new with Kassie. I did take her into the doctor the next day to find out that she had Strep and needed antibiotics. OH THE HORROR! She chose to take, and even pinkie swore to the Doctor that she would take the chewable version three times a day. HA! yeah right! Each time I give her her medicine, it takes the better part of an hour plus... I get super frustrated and a very ugly side of me comes out of the woodwork, one that I would disown in a heartbeat. Kassie's aversion goes far beyond just medicine. She is very particular about her food and can tell the slightest
difference between brands and will not eat but a few particular foods. To many this may just be a picky eater, but after this horrible experience with her antibiotics, I could not help but think there is more to her pickiness than we thought... I started to do some research on sensory overload and ended up with what pretty much described Kassie... Oral Hypersensitivity http://costellokids.com/therapy/oral_hypersensitivity.html while a few things don’t quite fit, the majority does… if you think about it, she doesn’t like the cup to touch her lips, she needs straws, she eats her nuggets off of her fork with her teeth not her lips, not liking to brush her teeth w/ toothpaste, or for that matter liking my breath right after I brush mine…”too minty”, and will not allow water to get on her face/ears which makes washing hair difficult… I had a sense of relief that there was a name for her actions and a reason... and that we could get some assistance through behavioral therapy to normalize her eating habits. Then the rush of emotions changed... There was something wrong with my precious little girl... and because of that, how could I possibly have gotten so angry at her for doing something she couldn't help but do... then I would switch back to relief and then back to grief... AHHH.... In the mean time, I will just focus on getting our doctor appointment to discuss these issues with her doctor and try to get therapy started as soon as possible.

Contemplation #2
Of course the most major breaking news for the last day or so has been that US Navy Special Forces has killed and taken custody of Osama Bin Ladin. For me this is a completely surreal event. For almost 10 years we have been trying to catch this guy and all of a sudden we have him.... and he is dead. While I contemplated whether or not this was real or could this be an elaborate plot for something else... like the script of Borne Supremacy, complete with plastic surgery... I was really struggling with the whole death aspect, and do WE have the right to take a life, even if he was an evil man? Given that our last study in my Small Group Bible Study was Romans 12:21
"21 Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good". I sat down to do my Bible Study today which was Romans 13:1-7 which speaks on the role of civil government... In particular verses 1 and 2..."Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. 2 So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished." God's timing is perfect. The leaders of our country, whether we like it or not... were ordained by God, thus we need to submit to their decisions, which are God's ultimate decisions... I soon realized that what I was most uncomfortable with was the flippant reaction a lot of Americans were having... the "let's party" attitude was a bit over the top. First of all, we Americans all felt such a huge loss Sept. 11, 2001 and many more since then... I get that. But if the shoe were on the other foot, and Osama's people killed an American and celebrated the way we did, we would be outraged to take action. What complete disrespect for others... But what really got to me was the fact that the people who were out, seemingly were out to either be on TV, or to have a reason to party. I have a real hard time with people who use the "we" when speaking of a major feat... People tend really do this during various sporting events... I mean, did you really play on the football field? And except for a few... did you really go out and take down the most wanted man in the world? NO, I didn't think so, so lets just drop the "we" speak, and be a little more respectful and put into effect Romans 12:21.

Contemplation #3
OH MY GOODNESS! We are about to become homeowners for the very first time. For the 3rd time, we were asked to leave our home by our landlords. This time as a result of a divorce and one of them wanting to move back into this house. At first we were dumbfounded, but knew that God had been working on us for a while. About 6 months ago we contemplated moving into an apartment to save some more money to buy a house, but never acted. God knew that unless there were extreme circumstances, we would stay status-quo... so he shook things up a bit... After looking at various rental properties, we decided that for about what we are currently paying for rent, we could get into a home of our own... and this includes the taxes and insurance... we jumped, got qualified and started looking. near the end of the first day we found a very strong contender... then next day we looked at one more house and then took the girls back to look at the house we liked from the first day... that was it... we put in an offer and TA-DAH! here we are, about to close escrow on our first home... and the thing I am most looking forward to doing is painting my girls' room colors of their own! God is good!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your new home!!! Funny how God always has to rock our world to make us do things for our own good. I can't tell you how many examples I have of this in my own life. So happy for you guys, that you are able to take the next step.

    ReplyDelete